A wireless router is a device that enables wireless network packet forwarding and routing. Normally, it serves as an access point in a local area network. A wireless router works much like a wired router. However, it replaces the wires with wireless radio signals. It is these signals which communicate within and to the external network. Note that this type of router can effectively function as a switch. Besides that, it can act as an Internet router and access point. So, how can you find the right router? Besides that, what are some of the best wireless routers in the market?
The Best Wireless Routers You Should Consider Buying
Even though there are numerous wireless routers, there are those that are top-rated. This is because they are versatile enough. So, they effectively cater to different user needs. Here are some of the best routers you can currently get:
1. Linksys WRT3200 ACM Smart Wi-Fi Router
This Nu-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi is indeed one of the best in the market. WRT 3200 ACM is equipped with Tri-Stream 160. As a result, it delivers blazing-fast Wi-Fi performance. You can connect it to multiple devices simultaneously without slowing down.
The versatile router features a range of ports. Therefore, you can quickly connect USB hard drives, flash drives, and network printers, etc. This router is fully open source-ready. This means that advanced users can even modify and personalize the router.
- Fast wireless router provides WiFi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
Generally, WRT 3200 ACM provides two dedicated Wi-Fi bands. The bands exceptionally provide super-fast speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps. Furthermore, the 2.4 GHz band offers speeds of up to 600 Mbps. It should be noted that the 1.8 GH processor is enterprise-grade. So, it can effectively handle heavy traffic.
- A faster wireless router that evenly provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home.
- Open source firmware that absolutely advanced customization.
- Works efficiently with certified operating systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
- The Tri-Stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Conveniently enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more without buffering
- Extremely high dual-band Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2.6 Gbps
- The MU-MIMO effectively provides easier Wi-Fi connectivity to multiple devices at once.
- Absolutely great open source firmware support.
- Excellent and upgrade features.
- Highly flexible.
- The coverage is sometimes spotty.
2. TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless Router
C9 AC1900 simply gives you unlimited streaming. The Dual Band Gigabit Router has speeds of up to 1900 Mbps. it also increases total throughput to up to 430% faster! It’s absolutely amazing. If you want to stream content in 4K or play games online, this is certainly one of the best routers. C9 AC1900 allows you to enjoy reliable router across your home.
- 1 of wireless routers for Home which is compatible with all Wi Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
It uses Beamforming technology. As a result, it produces stronger connections. The dual-bands are high-powered so that they can quickly locate Wi-Fi devices. On the other hand, this router has a strong processor. The 1 GHz Dual-core CPU effectively balances the demands of all your devices.
- It supports 802.11ac. This is obviously the next generation of Wi-Fi
- 9Gbps of total available bandwidth
- Simultaneously connect to the dual-band networks, 2.4GHz (600Mbps) and 5GHz (1300Mbps)
- 3 detachable dual band antennas for maximum wireless coverage and reliability
- Beamforming technology that quickly locates wireless devices. Besides that, it helps to create a stronger connection
- Offers great value for money hence it’s a good investment.
- The AC performance is absolutely great.
- You can only position it vertically.
- It lacks some tweaking options hence it’s not highly versatile.
3. Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Wi-Fi Router
X10 AD7200 Wi-Fi Router is one of the industry’s fastest router. It’s popular for its effectiveness in media streaming with the Plex media server. The brilliantly designed router is absolutely great for 4K streaming, VR gaming, and instant downloads. All these are facilitated by the 802.11 ad and ac technology.
With the Mu-MIMO support, you can simultaneously stream. MU-MIMO perfectly facilitates streaming. This is because it promotes faster downloads and less waiting. The powerful quad-core processor smoothly and reliably supports computers and processors.
- Fast WIFI Performance: Get up to 2500 sq ft wireless coverage with AD7200 speed (Tri-band up to 800 + 1733 + 4600 Mbps - for 60Ghz band devices)
Note that PLEX helps to eliminate chaos. It allows you to nicely organize your media. All your TV shows, videos, music, movies, and photo collections. Simply use PLEX to serve all your media from an external USB drive. As a result, you can conveniently watch your content from anywhere.
- Wi-Fi Speed 7.2 Gbps thanks to 802.11ac Quad Stream Wave2.
- Plex Media Server: use Plex to serve all your media from your external USB or NAS drive.
- Powerful 1.7GHz Quad-Core Processor: this is indeed the fastest processor for a home router. You can effectively use it for 4K streaming, VR gaming, surfing, or anything you throw at it.
- Dynamic QoS: it perfectly prioritizes bandwidth by application and device.
- Wi-Fi Range is clearly good very large homes.
- An aggressive design as well as improved connectivity.
- Plex allows you to effectively organize your media content.
- More streaming and less waiting time.
- The web interface can sometimes be sluggish.
- It’s quite expensive.
4. Asus AC3100 (RT-AC88U) wireless router
This wireless router simply provides seamless connectivity. Whether you have 4k television and gaming with console or streaming content in 4K UHD, this Wi-Fi router delivers. AC3100 doesn’t even lag and buffer. It perfectly delivers a combined 3167 Mbps Wi-Fi speed. So, everyone on your network can effectively enjoy smooth streaming.
Note that this router uses the revolutionary MU-MIMO Technology. This is an indeed efficient technology that gives every device full-speed network. As a result, you can connect multiple devices without slowing the network down.
- 1024 Qam technology 80 percent faster 5 GigaHertz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66 percent faster 2. 4 GigaHertz at up to 1000 Mbps; utilities: firmware restoration
If you want to prioritize your game, well there is no need to worry. This router uses the Adaptive QoS which easily prioritize gaming packets as well as activities. It should be noted that you can even assign a dedicated bandwidth while gaming.
- Expansive connectivity options: exclusively, you can use the 8X Gigabit LAN ports with 8 compatible devices.
- Smart connect: it automatically chooses the best band for you.
- Powerful 1.4 GHz dual-core processor. Therefore, it allows for faster USB data transfers.
- 4T4R antenna design: this is a 4-transmit and 4-receive which allows you to effectively reach your widest-ever coverage.
- AirProtection with parental control: this router is powered by Trend Micro which significantly improves your online safety.
- Speedy Wi-Fi performance hence better connectivity.
- A smartly designed web interface that’s easy to use.
- It simultaneously connects with multiple Ethernet-compatible devices.
- Its USB 3.0 port is awkwardly placed.
- The NAS performance is just average.
5. Google Wi-Fi
It’s certainly one of the best wireless routers for it’s a new type of connected system that seamlessly replaces your router. Google Wi-Fi is the best for busy homes. It perfectly provides coverage throughout your home. It should be noted that this Wi-Fi effectively eliminates dead zones as well as buffering.
- A new type of connected system for seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
Google Wi-Fi comes with Network Assist technology. Therefore, it keeps your connection fast. This is because the Wi-Fi always selects the clearest channel with the fastest band. Apart from that, there is an app. so, it quickly allows you to stay connected. Besides that, you can use the app to prioritize devices and pause the Wi-Fi.
- A single Wi-Fi point covers up to 1,500 sq. ft. Therefore, it can perfectly cover three home with up to 4,500 sqft.
- Expandable Mesh Wi-Fi: It uses the AC1200 2X2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi.
- 2 gigabit Ethernet ports per point i.e. LAN and WAN on the primary point.
- Faster connectivity: this is efficiently facilitated by the Network Assists. The advanced software effectively works in the background to manage the network.
- The companion app helps to easily share your password with guests. Besides that, you can use it to prioritize devices.
- Family Wi-Fi Controls: You can conveniently control and pause Wi-Fi on your kid’s devices.
- It perfectly provides network coverage. As a result, it eliminates dead zones.
- The Wi-Fi connect covers a wide space range. It should be noted that you can cover three homes up to 4,500 square feet.
- Its AC rating is so low.
- There is limited hardware control.
6. Netgear Orbi
Orbi is an ultra-performance router that’s certainly great for homes. It smoothly provides whole home coverage. Orbi effectively eliminates deadzones throughout our home. Besides that, it offers even coverage up to 5,000 square feet. The fast and reliable router connects all your devices without losing speeds. So, you can freely roam around your home with uninterrupted streaming.
To ensure that your kids are safe, this router comes with parental controls. Therefore, you can limit the daily internet time for websites, apps, games, and others. Additionally, you can effectively set individual filter levels for all family members.
- NO MORE DEAD ZONES: Whole home mesh WiFi coverage of up to 5,000 sq. ft. and 25+ devices. Mesh technology helps you stay connected as you roam around your home using a single network name. Extend...
Generally, this is the best home router with flexibility options. The device comes with 4GB Ethernet ports. Consequently, it’s ideal for game systems, home offices, and hard-wire entertainment centers. With the indoor and outdoor satellite options, you can conveniently use this router anywhere.
- Ultra-performance Mesh Wi-Fi network: it evenly blankets every inch of your home.
- Efficiently provides super-fast and seamless Wi-Fi connectivity. This means that it connects room to room, wall to wall, and floor to floor
- Eliminates Wi-Fi dead zones and buffering. This router provides 5,000 square feet of consistent coverage. In addition to that, it has speeds up to 30 Gbps.
- Effectively maintains high speed even if more devices are connected simultaneously.
- Simple setup with the Orbi app. easily create a guest network, access parental controls, and perform speed tests.
- NETGEAR Armor for enhanced security. This is an in-built anti-virus and data theft protection. So, the router protects your smartphones and computers.
- Excellent and smooth network coverage.
- A highly approachable design.
- It’s very expensive
- The Wi-Fi band settings are somehow finicky.
7. Amplifi HD
HD is a faster Mesh Wi0fi system that evenly delivers powerful coverage. It particularly provides fast speeds anywhere in your home. it doesn’t matter if you are streaming 4K video, gaming, downloading files, etc. this is router can definitely handle anything.
First, it provides a robust connection. So, there no more waiting for content to load. Additionally, you don’t have to move in order to find a better connection. Amplifi is particularly designed with super antennas. As a result, they beam reliable Wi-Fi to every corner.
- WHOLE HOME WiFi SYSTEM: Not Just a Wi-Fi router, it's a Wi-Fi system. The AmpliFi HD Kit includes a Wi-Fi router with an easy-to-use touchscreen display, two MeshPoints to maximize coverage and...
Secondly, it has an intuitive design, this router is specifically designed to complement your home. Note that its touchscreen display is unlike the traditional blinking lights. Therefore, you can no longer guess what your router is doing.
Lastly, you can customize and optimize your Wi-Fi. HD comes with customizable app control. This allows users to quickly manage their network while they’re away. Moreover, it is possible to mix and match AmpliFi Routers and Mesh Points. Together, they result in optimal coverage.
- Whole home connection: the Wi-Fi router helps to eliminate dead zones, besides that, it maximizes coverage.
- It uses 802.11 as technology: as a result, it delivers faster speeds and better coverage.
- Instant setup thanks to the intuitive app.
- Easy to set up thanks to the Amplifi App.
- Strong signal performance hence it’s great for multiple connectivities.
- Its extenders work very well.
- It’s quite expensive hence be ready to spend more.
- The Mesh Point HD design is definitely not the best.
Types of Routers
There are numerous types of routers. This is because they are manufactured by different brands. As a result, they use different types of wireless protocols. The different types of routers include:
- Single-Band Router
It’s the cheapest type of router. These devices essentially communicate with devices such as phones via radio frequencies. They can also communicate with different routers via one or more frequencies. Single-band routers usually have one frequency i.e. 2.4 GHz. This frequency is generally ideal for most situations. It’s good at penetrating walls and floors.
However, this frequency is limited. You have to deal with slightly lower speeds. Besides that, these routers are normally prone to interference. Well, this is because the 2.4 GHz frequency band is highly ubiquitous. As a result, it’s not good for use in larger cities.
- Dual-Band Routers
They are suitable for densely populated areas. Dual-Band Routers have two frequency bands i.e. 2.4 and 5 GHz. so, you can easily connect to your router using either band. A dual-band router with 5 GHz has less interference. This is because it’s less used. However, they are not good at penetrating through walls and furniture. It’s for that reason why they are used alongside 2.4 GHz.
- Tri-Band Routers
These routers have the 2.4, 5, and 5 GHz frequency bands. So, why does it have similar 5 GHz frequencies? Well, this is due to congestion and interference. There is even an extra lane for traffic. This means that it allows users to reach significantly higher speeds at any moment. Most tri-band routers automatically sort devices between the different networks. So, there is no need of doing it manually.
Features to Look For When Buying a Wireless Router
Buying a router that delivers good Wi-Fi is not easy. This process is even more complex if you are a beginner. There are numerous acronyms as well as marketing terms used by manufacturers. So, some of the things that you should consider include:
- Purchas AC1200 and Above
Wireless routers come in bandwidth names such as AC5400, AC1900, etc. However, you should not purchase anything with less than AC1200. In case you come an AC750 or AC900 router, simply avoid purchasing it because it’s old.
- Go for Dual-Band or More
Single- or Dual-Band? Well, a good wireless router should be at least dual-band. This means that it should be able to broadcast wireless signals on at least two frequencies. As a result, you will be able to see two or more wireless networks.
- It Should Support MU-MIMO or 802.11 AC
MU-MIMO simply means Multi-User, Multiple-Input Multi-Output. This is the ability of the router to effectively and simultaneously transmit to several wireless clients. Therefore, a router can “talk” to multiple clients on a single wireless radio channel.
- USB Ports
Technology is rapidly changing. Therefore, a good home router should at least have one USB port for connection. There are numerous types of USB devices which need a Wi-Fi connection. They include devices such as printers, USB modems, and external hard disks, etc.
- Enough RAM and Fast Processor
The hardware inside a router matters a lot. Smart homes definitely have smart devices. This means that users definitely play online games, stream videos, download files, etc. Therefore, the processor needs to be fast. Besides that, it should have plenty of RAM.
There are definitely so many wireless routers in the market. However, the above-mentioned devices are among the best in the market. They are specifically designed with versatile and premium features. Additionally, they are efficient in providing home Wi-Fi. However, it’s important to still take time and analyze any router. This helps to ensure that you get an effective device.