Sometimes referred to as earphones, headphones are hardware output devices that are designed to enhance audio production. They are absolutely great for personal use. You can either plug into your computer or smartphone in order to listen to the audio. Over-ear headphones are some of the most popular in the market. Outlined below is an overview of the top 10 over-ear headphones.
Top 10 Best Over Ear Headphones
There are numerous brands that manufacture and sell headphones. However, there are some brands that have absolutely the best devices. The top 10 over-ear headphones in the market are:
1. V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless
This over-ear headphone is specifically tailored to meet your taste. They are foldable and wireless to conveniently meet your personal preferences. Crossfade 2 wireless simply provides supreme comfort. First, they have cushions with large memory foam. It should be noted that they were perfected by testing 100s of prototypes.
Secondly, Crossfade 2 produces passive noise isolation. The earcups naturally cut the distraction thanks to the ANC feature. Thirdly, there is a Cliq Fold Hinge which is collapsible. So, if you traveling, it enhances portability. Lastly, it allows you to go wireless!
This device provides you with over 14 hours of wireless listening. Besides that, it effectively improves user convenience. The gadget comes with a fast-charge option. As a result, a 30-minute charge can last you almost 4 hours.View On Amazon
Overall, it has superior durability. The Steelflex headband plus the leather cover are all long-lasting. To ensure user safety and a secure fit, these headphones come with user adjustable clamping force.
- Virtually indestructible steel flex headband.
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Steel frame and clean deep bass.
- Specifically allows you to feel and hear precise vibrations of your music.
- Durable Cable/Plug Bend which effectively meets the industry standards.
- Sturdily built hence it’s durable.
- Large ear pads that sufficiently provide a comfortable fit.
- They are costly.
- They are very heavy
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
It’s one of the critically over-ear headphones. ATH-M50X offers the latest upgraded features. It’s absolutely great in terms of sound delivery. For starters, this device has a clear sound for audio. In addition to that, it’s great for personal, live, and DJ use. Its exceptional clarity simply makes it stand out.
It should be noted that the gadget offers significantly great sound isolation. Well, this is due to the circumaural design contours. They perfectly deliver sound isolation, even in loud environments. For enhanced comfort, they are specifically designed with professional-grade materials. Both the headband and earpad deliver long-lasting comfort.View On Amazon
Overall, this is a great pair of headphones. It’s particularly suitable for both studio use and on the road. This is due to the fact that it has 90-degree swiveling earcups. They, therefore, make it easy for one-ear monitoring. Besides that, they are collapsible. So, if you are traveling, they are indeed portable.
- Critically acclaimed sonic performance. It’s highly praised by top audio engineers. Besides that, pro audio reviewers also rave about it.
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers.
- Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range.
- Significantly deep and accurate bass response.
- Circumaural design contours around the ears. They perfectly deliver excellent sound isolation in loud environments.
- 90–degree swiveling earcups. They, therefore, enhance easy, one-ear monitoring.
- It produces a lively and engaging sound.
- Relatively affordable.
- Critically acclaimed by renowned sound engineers.
- There is no wireless option.
- Lacks neutral-sounding.
3. Bose QuietComfort 35 series II
This pair of over-ear headphones is popular for its noise-canceling effectiveness. This is a highly versatile gadget that also comes with Google Assistant. The 35 Series II has a noise rejecting dual microphone system. So, you can receive and make calls effortlessly and clearly. It should be noted that the voice access perfectly works with virtual assistants such as Siri.View On Amazon
This is indeed one of the leading over-ear wireless headphones. 35 Series II efficiently adjusts the level of noise-cancelation. This is a unique feature that particularly complements your environment. Besides that, it comes with a volume optimized equalizer. This feature clearly makes your music to sound its best. Generally, this device seamlessly adjusts with the environment. So, it doesn’t matter if you turn in up in traffic or turn it down in the office.
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system: clearly produces audio, especially phone calls.
- Voice assistant support: it seamlessly connects with Google Assistant and Siri.
- Volume-Optimized EQ: as a result, it makes your music to always sound the best.
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing: they promote hassle-free wireless connections.
- Absolutely the best noise-cancelation feature.
- Incredibly comfortable.
- Simply plain design.
- The sound detail is not effectively implemented.
4.Bose QuietComfort 35 series II
H.ear on 2 WH-H900N by Sony is one of the best over-ear headphones. It’s particularly sturdier and comfortable than its predecessors. The wireless headphone produces a well-balanced sound. Apart from that, it has a clear bass range and still sounds. It should be noted that these still sounds are detailed with vocals and instruments.View On Amazon
- A quality digital noise-canceling feature
- An ambient sound mode that conveniently allows you to control audio.
- Touch sensor control panel to efficiently carry out the operation.
- It uses the cartridge authentication technology hence it enhances security.
- It effectively cancels the noise.
- It has a great audio reproduction.
- Perfectly great for prolonged wear.
- The charge time is extremely long.
5. Sony MDR-1A
This is a super-comfortable pair of over-ear headphones. MDR-1A is superbly good at balancing clarity and providing versatility. In terms of comfort, this device provides an absolutely good fit. First, it has pressure-relieving urethane cushiness. This material entirely wraps around your ears. As a result, they provide a comfortable acoustic seal. Furthermore, they deliver a powerful bass response.View On Amazon
With MDR1A, you need to prepare for an exceptional sound. It should be noted that this is a lightweight and responsive device. However, it’s designed with high-conductivity to effectively reduce the degradation of signal transmission. Generally, every sound note delivered is pure. The premium style, as well as hi-resolution, specifically lead to high audio performance.
- Sound Reproduction up to 100 kHz.
- 40 mm driver units with ALCP to articulately enhance audio reproduction
- A 4-conductor cable for better signal separation and resulting sound quality.
- Ergonomic ear pads to effectively enhance response and long-term comfort.
- Perfectly minimizes signal transmission loss.
- Inward axis structure that efficiently delivers optimum fit.
- Relatively lightweight.
- Comfortable and full-size headphones.
- Clear sound quality with a better definition.
- It’s quite expensive.
- The functionality of some remotes certainly needs improvements.
6. Philips Fidelio X2
It’s rated as the best value over-ear headphones. Fidelio X2 is a brilliant headphone that also has a brilliant price. The superb pair of headphones particularly offers premium comfort. Furthermore, its build is of high-quality.
They are sustainably great for comfort. The acoustic open back design simply makes it great for long-wear. The headphones easily eliminate pressure build-up behind the driver. As a result, the diaphragm has ample free movement. This feature greatly enhances the sound transparency. Additionally, it smoothens extended high frequencies.
It should be noted that each speaker is carefully handpicked. Its thoroughly tried and tested to produce the most natural detailed sound. Note that the layered motion drivers control effectively produces clear frequencies. They are layered with polymer diaphragm to easily dampen any exaggerated frequencies.View On Amazon
X2 has a self-adjustable hammock and breathable velour. Moreover, it comes with memory foam cushions. All these features simply enhance the comfort of this headphone. Besides that, they promote better functionality.
- Built for quality: exceptionally delivers acoustic performance.
- Double layered ear shells to effectively reduce vibration and resonance.
- Acoustic open back design: easily eliminates air pressure build-up behind the driver.
- Lightweight and self-adjustable hammock hence enhanced comfortability.
- Brilliant sound delivery.
- Absolutely offers you value for your money.
- The sound quality is a bit off.
7. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
This is indeed one of the best over-ear headphones. DT 990 Pro has a spacious and open design. The airy and spacious device helps to significantly improve user comfort. Its great sense of depth, as well as ambiance, perfectly complements room acoustics.View On Amazon
Besides that, this over-ear headphone comes with controlled bass. Together with the enhanced treble, they produce exceptionally detailed frequency response. Generally, its low frequencies are precise and powerful. Although DT 990 Pro has a steel headband, it’s adjustable to securely fit different head sizes. Additionally, the adjustable earcups allow the wearer to use these headphones for extended periods.
- Open over-ear headphones: exceptionally good for professional mixing, mastering, and editing.
- Perfect for studio applications: this is due to their strong bass and treble sound.
- Adjustable earcups: they are soft and ensure high wearing comfort
- Hard-wearing, durable and robust workmanship
- Perfectly coiled connecting cable.
- Nominal sound pressure level 96 dB
- They are cost-friendly.
- Well-detailed mids and highs.
- Open, comfy, and airy sound,
- Suitable to use in silent rooms only
8. Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature
P9 Signature is regarded as the top over-ear headphones for audio connoisseurs. This is not only one of the best-sounding headphones but also luxurious. First, it has a unique drive unit technologies. It’s uniquely designed with the highest quality of Italian leather. Besides that, it has a foldable design to deliver the best listening experience.View On Amazon
It should be noted that this is a durable device. Although it’s made with luxurious materials, it has an impeccable strength. The forged aluminum arms plus the leather earcups are all long-lasting. According to experts, these are indeed great over-ear headphones. The free-breathing head space in addition to the superb sound is all you need.
- Delivers pristine sound: it simply takes you to the very heart of your favorite music.
- Crystal clear treble, insightful midrange, and a deep solid bottom end.
- Exquisitely crafted from luxuriously high-quality materials: it should be noted that the Italian saffiano leather and a forged foldable aluminum arms lead to greater durability.
- New proprietary piston diaphragm speaker drivers: perfectly deliver a unique coloration-free audio experience.
- Uniquely vented multi-layer memory foam cushions: they effortlessly combine with the high-quality leather used on the ear-pads and headband. As a result, they deliver an incredibly comfortable experience.
- It comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Absolutely comfy: the adjustable headband perfectly fits different head sizes.
- Frequency response: 2hz to 30khz
- Classy and premium design.
- Well-detailed and rich sound.
- A wide range of cabled options.
- Quite expensive hence be prepared to spend more.
9. Sony WH-1000XM3
It’s popularly termed as a feature-packed device. This over-ear device is basically a complete package. Not only is it comfy but also delivers in terms of audio quality. This device perfectly cancels out the noise. It wirelessly offers the best balance of performance and features.View On Amazon
Sony is particularly renowned for its quality devices. It should be noted that WH-1000XM3 is not different. What makes it stand, out even, more are the new upgraded tricks. This includes interesting features such as inbuilt Google Assistant and Alexa. Besides that, it supports NFC and aptX HD. However, this only happens with some Android devices.
- Smart Listening that’s effortlessly facilitated by SENSE ENGINE
- Quick Attention Mode: for quality conversations.
- Industry-leading noise-canceling: clearly brings on only music and nothing else.
- Extremely long battery life.
- Seamlessly integrates with two voice assistants.
- A superb noise-canceling feature that effectively minimizes ambient noise.
- Call quality issues that occur frequently.
10. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
DT 1990 pro simply offers uncompromising audio performance. This device perfectly combines design and technology. They are specifically designed for home use. Besides that, you can use them in the studio. This is because they are serious for analytical listening.
This headphone gives you a great sense of space. It’s quite wide thanks to the open design. Generally, it has a natural and exceptionally spatial sound. As a result, it’s one of the most reliable references for mixing and mastering applications.View On Amazon
By combining both innovation and expertise, DT 1990 Pro is definitely great for maximum wear comfort. Its ear pads are filled with memory foam and high-tech textiles. Apart from that, users have an option of two sound characteristics. So, you can listen to a well-balanced sound or analytical sound.
- Open studio reference class headphones: exceptionally good for mixing and mastering.
- 250 ohms and 45 mm dynamic Tesla neodymium drivers.
- Superbly designed with single sided and detachable cable.
- Soft, replaceable ear pads and headband. This certainly makes it great for long studio sessions.
- Headphone frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz.
- Open design with exceptionally spatial sound.
- Users can opt to use either of the two sound characteristics.
- Uniquely designed for maximum wear comfort.
- The mids are slightly recessed.
- The highs can also be fatiguing
The True Definition of Over-Ear Headphones?
These are headphones that typically cover your ears. Over-ear headphones have thick headbands and large earcups. As a result, wearing those means that your ears will be covered entirely. They are indeed great for users who want to attain a comfortable fit.
Benefits of Over-Ear Headphones (Vs In-Ear)
Over-ear headphones have in existence before the trend of in-ear devices. But why should you consider the latter?
- Noise rejection: over-ear are absolutely great than in-ear headphones. They can perfectly cancel out the noise because they cover the whole ear.
- Comfort: over-ear devices are extremely comfortable because they are usually padded.
- Safety: in-ear earphones are extremely dangerous. This is because they directly funnel music to the ear canal. Over-ear headphones are undoubtedly the safest choice.
What to Look for in Over-Ear Headphones
There are obviously thousands of over-ear headphones. So, it’s important to understand the features to look for. This is what will definitely help you purchase a product that suits your needs. Some of the features to look for include:
- Wireless or wired: do you want a wired or wireless device? It should be noted that wired devices are usually messy. On the other hand, wireless headphones are not messy. As a matter of fact, they help to reduce clutter which makes them best suited headphones for those who wants a good running headphone. Apart from that, you should know that the latest smartphones don’t have headphone jacks. So, ensure you pick a wireless headphone.
- Noise-Canceling: This is a significantly important feature. A good over-ear headphone should certainly reduce ambient noise. This will allow you to clearly concentrate on the incoming audio. So, ensure that you choose a device with an active noise-cancellation feature. Generally, they are great for different environments. This includes surroundings such as offices, public transport systems, etc.
- Materials: The type of material is absolutely important. This is because the material has a direct impact on durability. Over-ear headphones are made with plastic, metal, leather, wood, or fabric. Although plastic devices are cheap, go for a metallic one. This is because they guarantee you long-lasting stability.
The Bottom Line
Over-ear headphones are, without doubt, the best when it comes to comfort. They are normally padded to ensure that you can wear them for long. Additionally, they snugly fit by covering your earcups. As a result, there are perfect for prolonged use.