A hoverboard is a self-balancing scooter that acts as a personal transporter. It has two motorized wheels which are connected to a pair of pads. The rider needs to place their feet on the pads and lean forward or backward to facilitate movements. There is a wide variety of hoverboard models around. This article offers a review of the best hoverboards currently.
Internal Parts of a Hoverboard
A hoverboard’s interior consists of various parts which enhance movement. There is a lot to uncover, ranging from the gyroscopes to the power switch. The main components of a hoverboard that dictate how it works include:
- Steel frame with a central pivot device
- Logic board or the motherboard
- Infrared sensors each one for each foot.
- Electric motors for each wheel.
- Tilt/speed sensors for each wheel.
- Pressure pads with (2) switch on each. There is one up on the front and one in the back
- LED lights and a charging port
- A battery pack and power switch
How Does a Hoverboard Work?
The gyroscopes in the hoverboard slow down when your weight moves backward. If the body leans forward, the hoverboard speeds up. The gyroscopes, the speed sensors, and the tilt function work together to distribute weight. They also send out signals and translate them quickly into real-time. Note that once the gyroscope has established your base center of gravity, it will relate your movements from there.
On the other hand, the speed controls inside the wheels have sensors. So, they conveniently send your tilting actions into the logic board. To facilitate your turning mechanisms, there are pressure pads with 2 switches. There is one up on the front and the other at the back. They are responsible for detecting weight distribution and facilitating turning.
5 Best & Highly Rated Hoverboards You Can Currently Buy
Are you in need of a hoverboard and you don’t know what to purchase? The availability of numerous brands and models can make the selection process challenging. However, we have made everything easier for you now. Below is a review of the best hoverboards of 2020.
1. Swagtron Swagboard Pro T1
It is a hoverboard which has swag. Pro T1 is a UL certified device which guarantees users safety. It offers riders speed and range. This is facilitated by the 300-watt motor which rapidly increases the maximum speed. Pro T1 can reach up to 8 mph. Besides that, it can give you a range of more than 12 miles per charge.
If you are still a newbie, the hoverboard has a learning mode. If you are a pro, then you need to go straight to standard mode. The learning mode easily governs your speed until you are ready to go at maximum speeds.
With the sentry shield battery, your battery system monitor will be protected. Note that this hoverboard comes with a safe stop technology. This is an advanced system that guides you to a balanced rolling stop. This happens when you unexpectedly lose power when pushing the battery above the charge limits.
- Cruise with swag on your hoverboard boasting an 8 mph top speed and 11 mile range - weight up to 220 lbs
- It cruises in high speeds of up to 8 mph and covers a distance range of over 11 miles.
- It has a tighter gear stabilization control and great downhill traction.
- It has a charging time of more than an hour.
- It easily loses its stability over time.
2. NHT 6.5″ Chrome Electric Hoverboard
This self-balancing equipment comes with an in-built Bluetooth speaker. It’s one of the best hoverboard models in the market. The high-tech device is suitable for all terrains. Its design includes high-intensity LED headlights.
With the in-built wireless speaker, you can connect it to other portable streaming devices. As a result, you can easily enjoy your favorite tracks while riding it. You can make it unique by adding personalized sound effects.
This is a great hoverboard best buy has to offer. In terms of performance, NHT hoverboard has dual 350-watt motors. They effectively power this hoverboard and you can use it for hours on end. To guarantee riders safety, NHT strictly follows UL 2272 safety standards.
- Safety Certified Hoverboard, It comes with Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices, enjoy your favorite music without wearing headphones. Charger included.
- It’s a self-balancing hoverboard with Bluetooth speakers.
- It easily connects to other portable streaming devices.
- The loud beeps can be annoying.
- The instruction manual is completely horrible.
3. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard
It is a self-balancing smart scooter that’s made by Razor. Hovertrax 2.0 is a UL 2272 certified hoverboard which meets the industry’s highest electrical safety standards. It has a cruising speed of more than 8 mph. This is facilitated by silent 250-watt motors. In terms of run-time, Hovertrax 2.0 has up to 60 minutes. So, riders can enjoy continuous fun moments.
This hoverboard can support up to 220 lbs. it comes with an easy and quick-charge 36V battery. This means that users can always extend their rides. EverBalance technology automatically levels this hoverboard. As a result, it’s easier to mount and enjoy a smooth ride.
Razor is a global leader when it comes to the creation of electric scooters. Hovertrax 2.0 comes with new features such as a cool LED light bar display. It also has an LED battery power indicator, two riding modes, and fender bumpers.
- The world's smartest self-balancing electric scooter, made by Razor, the trusted global leader in electric recreational products
- Two riding modes for training and normal use.
- The hoverboard automatically levels for easier mounting and smooth ride.
- It has a cruising speed of more than 8 miles per hour.
- Its wheels can move rapidly at different speeds.
- The learning process of using it is quite challenging.
4. Vecaro Glide-BK Hoverboard
With a 6.5″ diameter wheel, this hoverboard works well both indoors and outside. It has Bluetooth speakers which allow you to connect your phone and listen to your favorite music. The LED lights on the wheels will make you easier to spot when riding at night.
Vecaro Glide-BK has a 3mm thick frame. It is reinforced with zinc-coated aluminum which helps to promote durability. To prevent scratching, it comes with an ABS plastic outer shell for enhanced protection. This hoverboard has an IP5 Waterproof rating. This means that it can take any splashes but should not be submerged.
- Guaranteed safe, won't overheat! the U.S. Government has approved ul2722 certification as assurance that this product does not overheat, spark, smoke, catch fire, etc
- It’s guaranteed safe and it won’t overheat spark, or catch fire.
- It’s better and faster than most hoverboards.
- It has a powerful and long-lasting battery.
- It takes almost 90 minutes for it to fully charge.
- It only has a 2-hour ride time which is extremely short.
5. Swagtron Swagboard Twist T881
Swagtron Swagboard is one of the best hoverboard brands. The entry-level device is great for beginners as well as experienced riders. Powered by dual 250-watt motors. Twist T881 provides riders with quick acceleration. It perfectly conquers hills of up to 30 degrees.
The self-balancing hoverboard allows learners to ride effortlessly. It’s very easy to mount and you need to just lean back or front to control its speed. The resilient device is reinforced with a tough ABS polymer casing. So the hoverboard is protected against overheating, crashes, and serious impacts. Note that it supports riders with up to 85 Kgs.
- Startup self-balancing - this user friendly hover board allows for quick and easy mounting by automatically balancing upright when powered on
- It has an auto self-balancing feature which allows for easy and quick mounting.
- It’s designed with a certified strength and resistance feature. It can sustain crashes, overheating, and drops.
- It traverses almost 7.5 km on a single charge.
- It takes up to 5 hours to fully charge it.
What to Look for in a Hoverboard
Choosing the best hoverboard that suits you isn’t easy. There are many models all with different features. But it is still possible to choose a piece of great equipment by considering certain characteristics. Some of the core things to look for in a hoverboard include:
1. Bluetooth connectivity
The latest devices are adopting new technology by all means. To ensure that you have fun times, choose a hoverboard with Bluetooth connectivity option. It should also have an in-built speaker where you can listen to music.
2. Range and handling
Hoverboards are fun and enjoyable to play with. However, you can also use them to commute and run errands. You should, therefore, choose a hoverboard with a great range. It should be able to handle tough terrains. Besides that, it should handle a big weight.
3. Battery Life and Charging Time
Long-lasting battery life is important. You don’t want to purchase a hoverboard that needs to be recharged after a few minutes of use. Note that it’s the battery that determines how far and how fast you can go. Furthermore, the charging time is important. Nobody wants to spend hours waiting for the ride to charge up.
Recently, hoverboards have gotten a host of bad press. This is because there are some substandard units that have caught on fire. So, to ensure you are safe, look for a UL-rated model. Check if it has a UL 2272 hologram sticker.
Although there are hundreds of hoverboard brands, only a few of them matter. The above-mentioned hoverboards are among the best in the market. They contain user-friendly features for both newbies and experienced riders. If you are looking for a good hoverboard, you need to check certain aspects such as safety, handling, battery life, and charge time among others.